Some days it is a struggle to put your kimono in your gym bag and make the trip to the academy. The jiu-jitsu students are are braving either scorching heat in the summer or freezing temperatures in the winter will identify.
The pressures of making a living, school, bills and relationships can weigh the best of us down and drain our motivation.
Sometimes, remembering an inspirational quote can make the difference between us settling down on the couch and deciding to get up and head to class.
Jiu-jitsu wisdom can be like a turning of a lense to suddenly make a vague idea come into sharper focus.
Here are 12 of my favorite jiu-jitsu motivational quotes & pieces of wisdom.
1) “My mind’s never gone very far away from what I wanted to accomplish.”
Legendary wrestler Dan Gable
2) “I am not your friend. I am a wrestling coach. I am going to push you, I am going to say things that hurt your feelings but if you listen to me, I will take you to the next level.”
3) “If I throw you in water and I am drowning you, you can control your drowning.
You don’t panic, win lose or draw. You go down practicing the art of jiu-jitsu.
And the art is: how do I control and submit my opponent and survive using the least amount of attributes.
ie. strength, explosion, youth, size any of that
and the maximum amount of leverage, cunningness, guile and technique”
4) “The more you know, the less you use,
To use less, you need to know more”
Jean Jacques Machado
5) “If everything is going too smooth, it is because you are in your comfort zone.”
“The struggle is part of a champions life.”