Definition of “Quarterlife Crisis” : A period of life ranging from twenties to thirties, in which a person begins to feel doubtful of their own lives, brought on by the stress of becoming an adult.
The “Quarterlife Crisis” is an analogy to the well known, “Midlife Crisis.” Each segment of your life represents a transition and crossroads into your future and these two crises can start to formulate very quickly, bringing on lots of stress, reflection, and irrational decisions.
I firmly believe that the immediate decrease in the pursuit of knowledge and lack of continued mental stimulation following the “end”of your traditional schooling, allows this crisis to develop. Also, it begins its manifestation when the feeling of not knowing what you want in the future arises. It could be due to the fact you may not have a firm grip on employment, finances, and relationships. I have not been immune to this crisis and have only come out less scathed due to the principles learned through Jiu-Jitsu that taught me how to face life and difficult situations.
How will Jiu-Jitsu cure this “ailment”?
Jiu-Jitsu is the most proven and effective Martial Art for Self-Defense. However, the subtle and subconscious training that you undergo is what leads to Jiu-Jitsu curing the crisis. As you train and practice Jiu-Jitsu you begin to progress through the techniques and become skilled. However; along the way you will start to see the MUCH GREATER effects! Although there are many reasons as to why Jiu-Jitsu cures.
Here are FOUR reasons Jiu-Jitsu helps…
1) You are continuing the pursuit of knowledge after your “Schooling” ends.
2) You are acquiring better ways to problem solve, focus, relax, and discipline yourself through the lessons and situations you face in practice. This is the “invisible” tool that starts to stimulate the areas of brain that are now starving for attention!
3) You will develop a camaraderie with individuals that are driven, disciplined, focused, and life healthy lifestyles. This will start to motivate you to do more. “You are only as successful as the FIVE people you hang around.”
4) Jiu-Jitsu is an activity that forces you to continually improve and strive towards mastery. The work and the effort that you put into this will start to bleed over into every aspect of your life.
In our lifetime we will reach certain points where you have a choice in GROWTH both physically and mentally. If you want to physically stop growing, discipline your eating and exercise habits.
We forget about the latter, “mental growth.”
When “mental growth” stops, you will stop, when you stop, life stops…
I have witnessed…
1) Shy teenagers with no social skills become popular and get girlfriends/boyfriends.
2) Adults gain job promotions or start new businesses/careers.
3) Individuals become champions that may have never in another area.
4) Kids getting better grades and social skills.
5) Women overcoming previous life obstacles and becoming empowered.
These are not coincidences and they are the WHY and HOW to how you and others can avoid or breakthrough the “Quarterlife Crisis” plateau. Never stop experimenting, trying, playing, and always look for better ways. I learned this at Jiu-Jitsu.
If you are someone that has used Jiu-Jitsu to enhance your life, I would love to hear.
If you know someone that needs Jiu-Jitsu to help them reach a breakthrough in their life, make sure you introduce them to Jiu-Jitsu.
It will be more than a favor, it will be a way to change and shape their life forever!
Spa City Jiu-Jitsu – Owner
read also: Largest Brazilian jiu-jitsu seminar in American History with Rickson Gracie!