Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Fabricio Werdum thinks it’s odd that another former heavyweight champion, Junior “Cigano” dos Santos, is coming after him.
“Cigano’ has been chasing me for a long time,” Werdum told MMA Fighting. “You usually go after the belt, not a fighter. I think that’s weird. I wasn’t offered this [fight]. He’s saying I turned it down. I’d fight him just to end this story of him chasing me.”
And it seems that Fabricio has a theory as to why Junior is “chasing” him.
“Some people think he’s jealous because I became champion beating his ‘dad’ Cain Velasquez, but I don’t think that’s the case. I think he didn’t come out of the closet yet. I don’t have anything against homosexuals, but ‘Cigano’ needs to get out of the closet. He must have something because he won’t forget me. I already told him I’m married. Nothing against gays, but everyone does their own thing.”
Werdum is almost certainly joking about Junior’s sexuality – not that it’s appropriate to make fun of someone for such a silly reason in the first place.
However, Fabricio seems to be dead serious about getting in the cage again with the man who beat him at UFC 90 back in 2008.
“He said something yesterday, he said I’m not a good fighter. I’ll show him inside the Octagon. Put us both in there now, no problem. He thinks I’m that same Werdum from 2007. Look at both of us and see who evolved more. My game changed completely.”
Junior dos Santos is set to take on Stefan Struve on February 19 at UFC Fight Night: dos Santos vs Struve.
Fabricio Werdum was originally expected to take on Cain Velasquez in their much-anticipated rematch on Friday. The Nevada State Athletic Commission, however, determined that Cain was unfit to fight.
So far, there are no plans for a rematch between Junior dos Santos and Fabricio Werdum.