The IBJJF has issued a response to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak after multiple jiu-jitsu events were affected by concerns over the illness.
An update to the IBJJF’s Pan-American Championship page reveals that Pans will not be canceled this year, but that registered competitors will be able to receive a refund if they withdraw by March 10.
The full statement reads as follows:
“IBJJF will follow all guidelines and protocols issued by the CDC and public health departments.
The California Department of Public Health and the Orange County Health Care Agency have not recommended the cancellation of public events. The health risk from COVID-19 to the general public remains low at this time.
But If you are concerned and would like to withdraw from the tournament, you may email us at email@example.com up until the Athlete Correction Deadline, March 10th, and we will be able to remove your name from the event and issue a refund for the tournament registration fee.
As we continue to monitor developments of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we would like to remind you of important information resources and suggested safety measures everyone can follow.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.
- CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
- Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
You can find these precautions and further information on the CDC website at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html .”
The announcement follows the UAEJJF postponing upcoming events due to the World Pro, 3rd Coast Grappling modifying their 3CG IV event to feature locals only, and the Arnold Classic limiting Grappling Industries spectators to coaches and family members only.