Fans of the Diaz brothers (and MMA in general) rejoice (at least a little): Nick Diaz may be fighting again next year.
Diaz’s manager, Kevin Mubenga, told ESPN that Diaz is “100%” planning on making a return to professional fighting, and that return could happen as early as 2021.
This is Nick Diaz earlier today. He weighs in the 175-165 pound range, per his manager Kevin Mubenga.— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) September 7, 2020
He just completed a 14-week diet and training regimen. This is the first time he cuts weight in approximately four years, Mubenga said. Diaz wanted to do a test cut because … pic.twitter.com/5A8EvyLeUn
Diaz has not fought since 2015, partially due to a sanction from the Nevada State Athletic Commission after he tested positive for marijuana metabolites. He hinted at a return last year, taking particular interest in a fight with Jorge Masvidal after Masvidal defeated Nick’s brother, Nate. While the match never happened, news of Diaz’s test weight cut is certainly a good sign that we might see him back in action next year.