The Jiujitsu community is growing each and every day. There are many people out there though that really don’t even know what Jiujitsu is or do not understand the concept of it. Here are five reasons you should tell them to never train Jiujitsu:
1. Self-defense– Jiujitsu, whether you do it as “sport” jiujitsu and compete or if you’re doing it for casual purposes, you are going to learn how to defend yourself. From the basics to advanced technique, training in jiujitsu will show you defense techniques from a variety of different positions. In this day and age, I cannot stress how important self-defense is. We have so much crime in this country, it really is important for us to be able to take care of ourselves. You want to feel confident, that if you were attacked, you could defend yourself to some degree.
2. Confidence– Jiujitsu is a key booster in building self-confidence in people of all ages. In children, teens and adults, it doesn’t matter, you will see your confidence grow each and every day. Jiujitsu is actually a great sport for those who may have been bullied at a young age. It is hard to re-build confidence once it is broken down, but with this sport and the right coaching and positive atmosphere, it brings that confidence right back to where it should be.
3. Physical benefits– I don’t even know where to start with this one. Jiujitsu will 100% get you in better shape. Whether you are looking to lose weight, tone, improve cardio etc., you will be able to achieve that through this sport. It does not happen overnight, but you will see your overall physical health improve. You most likely will see other aspects such as your diet change as well. You will feel your body getting healthier and you will want to fuel it with the right foods.
4. Stress-Relief- I think this point mainly applies to adults, but regardless it is another point in itself. We all have those stressful days. Work didn’t go well, too much school work, whatever it is, we’ve all been in one stressful spot or another. I don’t know how many times I was having a rough day then went to train. I ALWAYS leave feeling so much better. Whatever was bothering me before, had left my mind. Jiujitsu is so fantastic for stress-relief. What better way to get rid of stress than by choking a fellow teammate? But in all seriousness, I have even heard of people using jiujitsu has their therapy, which I think is really cool.
5. Friends- Through Jiujitsu you will make friends with people and create bonds that are so incredibly strong. This sport requires you to work as a team, and you learn to value and appreciate that. Your team will become a second family to you and they will always be there for support and positive encouragement. You will also meet so many people in general within the Jiujitsu community and you all have an interest in common automatically creating a friendship.
So to sum this up, if you don’t want any of these five amazing qualities in your life, then definitely do not train Jiujitsu. However, I am totally kidding and you should tell everyone you know that this is exactly why they should join. Who wouldn’t want these aspects in their life?