Two Promotions Have Removed Tex Johnson From Upcoming Cards Following Sexual Assault Allegations

3127
Image Source: Tex Johnson via Instagram

Third Coast Grappling and Sub Spectrum have made the decision to remove Aaron “Tex” Johnson from their upcoming events in light of sexual assault allegations the athlete is currently facing. At the time of this post’s publication, Johnson has not been arrested or charged with a crime.

The allegations surfaced shortly after Johnson earned second place at Kasai Pro 5 and subsequently announced that he was traveling from New York to New Mexico to attend rehab for a month. In a since-deleted post, a woman then claimed that Johnson had raped her and that she was pressing charges. As the original post was deleted, the Jiu-Jitsu Times has elected not to share its contents or the woman’s name in the event that doing so could interfere with the outcome of the investigation.

The same day the post was created, Johnson’s home school of Unity BJJ shared a post informing followers of an “alleged incident” between two students and stating that the accused student would no longer be welcome at the academy. The post did not explicitly name either of the students or provide further details on the nature of the incident.

On Sunday, April 7th, a student of our school came forward and informed our staff of an alleged incident involving…

Posted by Unity Jiu Jitsu School on Saturday, April 13, 2019

In light of the allegations, Ryan McGuire of Third Coast Grappling and Jordan Peitzman of Sub Spectrum have both decided to remove Johnson from upcoming cards pending. Both promoters provided statements to the Jiu-Jitsu Times regarding their decision.

Peitzman’s statement reads as follows:

“While it had not been officially announced, many throughout the BJJ community were aware that we had intended to feature Unity standout Tex Johnson in our next event ‘Sub Spectrum 8’ on June 29th in Des Moines, Iowa. We have elected to halt those talks at this time in [light] of the allegations at hand.

I have personally spoken with Tex over the last week and he has steadily claimed his innocence. I personally do not believe in trial by public opinion, so this is not a punishment for Tex Johnson. We feel that at this time it is most important for Tex to focus on the legal proceedings at hand, doing what is necessary to clear his name, and working through the necessary steps of his rehab and recovery. Once those steps have been completed, I would gladly proceed with our talks and negotiations.

The allegations at hand are incredibly serious and something that I do not take lightly. With that said, I stand by Tex Johnson. I do not see him to be the type of person to commit the crime that has been alleged. However, if the court was able to provide indisputable proof in the name of convicting him, I would have a drastically different stance on the matter. I look forward to having the situation cleared up on behalf of all involved parties.”

McGuire’s statement reads as follows:

“Given the recent allegations, we’ve decided that it would be best to remove Tex from the card until further information about the situation is revealed. We are hopeful that justice will prevail, and we will be better able to determine Tex’s future with 3CG after a more conclusive resolution to the situation is found. We wish him the best in his recovery.”

Johnson had originally been slated to compete against Inacio Neto in 3CG’s upcoming June event; McGuire says that they are currently searching for a replacement for him.

Click on a tab to select how you'd like to leave your comment

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here